How to get to the conference
The conference will be held on the Lansdowne Campus of Bournemouth University close to the train and coach stations and town centre (directions and maps to Lansdowne Campus).
- By train: Bournemouth is on a direct rail line to London Waterloo (from ~1hr 50 minutes) via South West trains, and to Reading (from 1hr 20 minutes), ~Oxford (from ~1hr 50 minutes), Birmingham (from ~3hrs) and beyond via CrossCountry trains. The Lansdowne Campus is a 10 minute walk from the train and coach stations, or you may catch a bus.
- By coach: Bournemouth coach station is served by National Express with direct routes to many UK cities including London and several major airports. The Coach station is right beside the train station a 10 minute walk or quick bus ride (a 10 minute walk from the train and coach stations, or you may catch a bus from the Lansdowne Campus.
- By car: use the postcode BH1 3LH. To reach Lansdowne Campus from the North or the East, leave the A338 at the junction marked Travel Interchange onto St Paul’s Road, then take St Swithuns Road. At the roundabout at the end of St Swithuns Road take the right-hand exit which will bring you onto Christchurch Road (B3066) where the buildings that comprise the campus are located.
From the West follow the directions to Talbot Campus but proceed past the University on the A3049 (this becomes Talbot Avenue). Next take the Wimborne Road(A347), then the Lansdowne Road (B3064) to continue onto Christchurch Road (B3066).
Unfortunately no parking is available at the campus itself, but there are many pay and display parking zones nearby. The closest car park is on Cotlands Road. Further information on parking in Bournemouth is available here.
- By air: Bournemouth Airport is well served by taxis and buses into town, and for more destinations, Southampton Airport has its own train station (Southampton Airport Parkway) and is only around 30 minutes from Bournemouth by train. Some direct coaches run from London airports and connections by coach or train are also available at London.
- By sea: From the continent or Channel Islands, Poole (20 minutes) and Portsmouth (~1hr 40 minutes) seaports are close by. From Portsmouth by train (roughly ~1hr 40 minutes) change at Southampton Central; from Poole seaport a taxi or bus will take you either directly to Bournemouth (~20 minutes/35 minutes respectively) or to Poole train station (10 minutes).
- By bus: Local Bournemouth buses are run by two companies, Morebus and Yellow Buses. Alight at the Lansdowne or St Swithuns Roundabouts (stops are announced and displayed on-screen in advance and drivers are very friendly). Buses do provide change onboard, within reason and all are wheelchair/pram accessible.
- By taxi: Taxis in Bournemouth’s signature lemon yellow are readily available with ranks at the airport, coach/train station and at Lansdowne Roundabout. Some local taxi firms include United Taxis Ltd. (01202 556677) and PRC Streamline (01202 373737).
Bournemouth is a tourist destination with a huge range of hotels at all price points. However, August is peak season so please do book ahead. Hotels in the East Cliff area of town on Gervis, Grove and Manor Roads and East Cliff Overdrive are closest to the Lansdowne Campus. These include the Suncliff, the Cumberland, the Best Western Hotel Royale, the Cottonwood Boutique, the Hinton Firs, the Greenhouse Hotel, Hotel Miramar, the Hallmark East Cliff and more. The Hotel Piccadilly (in the process of becoming the Klikstay Bournemouth), Ramada Encore, Travelodge Bournemouth Hotel and Premier Inn Bournemouth East are also relatively close on Christchurch Road and the Russell Court Hotel and Premier Inn Central in town is slightly further away but still readily accessible. The West Cliff cluster of hotels including the Hilton, Marriott etc. is around a 30 minute walk or a short bus ride away – alight at the Lansdowne roundabout. Probably the cheapest option in town is Baggies Backpackers, a short (though uphill!) walk from the Lansdowne roundabout. For groups, Bunkhouse Bournemouth is also cheap.